Religious Freedom Institute (Washington, DC area)
The Religious Freedom Institute (RFI) seeks an experienced, passionate, articulate communications and media professional to help drive its growth as an early-stage non-profit. RFI is dedicated to achieving worldwide acceptance of religious freedom as a fundamental human right, the cornerstone of a successful society, and a source of international justice and peace. The Communications Manager will work with the executive team and action team directors to establish and execute an integrated communications strategy for RFI and its related projects, employing both traditional and new media (video, webinars, podcasts, etc.) to communicate the mission and activities of RFI in the United States and internationally.
The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of communications experience in a non-profit or similar setting. The candidate must be a skilled writer, editor, and communicator capable of producing finished products with speed, while open to guidance and editing. The Communications Manager will, with guidance from RFI leadership, coordinate all RFI communications efforts. He or she must be able to complete tasks with little direct supervision. The Communications Manager should be passionate about the organization’s mission and actively look for opportunities to support it through integrated communication efforts.
Desired Experience and Background
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree or higher (Communications or related field is a plus)
- Be an experienced and skilled writer and editor who is capable of reaching academic, policy, and popular audiences, can adapt academic research into persuasive, crisp communications, and write in a manner that moves the reader to act.
- Have experience in social media, online publications, and new media, and be capable of managing organization accounts, building an engaged following, and executing multi-component advocacy or promotion campaigns.
- Be able to work with media, both proactively and reactively, to fulfill interview requests, act as a spokesperson as appropriate on issues, and effectively position RFI to advance religious freedom internationally and in the United States.
- Be able to work in Adobe Suite and other programs to create finished product of reports and images for both print and digital distribution.
- Be able to work with a geographically dispersed team, manage multiple projects at once, develop and execute timelines, work with internal and external teams, and evaluate the success of projects to inform future efforts
- Understand fully why religious freedom is essential to human dignity and the flourishing of societies; fully grasp the importance of the RFI mission and effectively communicate the importance and urgency of that mission in person and in writing
- Competitive Base Salary ($55,000-$65,000, commensurate with experience)
- Retirement plan with excellent employer match
- Superb professional development opportunities
- Flexible work schedule
- Dental, vision, and healthcare plans for employees and their families
Please send a cover letter and resume, examples of communications product, along with the names and contact information of three references, to RFI@religiousfreedominstitute.org
The Religious Freedom Institute (RFI) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
The Religious Freedom Institute (RFI) is committed to achieving broad acceptance of religious liberty as a fundamental human right, the cornerstone of a successful society, and a source of national and international security. It will achieve this goal by convincing stakeholders in select regions that religious freedom can help them achieve their own goals—political, economic, strategic, and religious. Action Teams will establish a presence in each region to build coalitions and work toward making religious freedom a priority for governments, civil society, religious communities, businesses, and the general public. http://www.religiousfreedominstitute.org/mission/