By: John M. Owen
Many religious believers in America are feeling besieged, and not without reason. At least five trends are coinciding:
1. Federal policy regarding employers’ rights, including the Obamacare employer's mandate to provide contraception to employees.
2. Actual and threatened restrictions on religious groups’ ability to maintain their historic practices and governance structures in higher education.
3. Arguments from prominent law professors to the effect that religion should have no special status in law.
4. Bestselling “new atheist” authors such as Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris, and the late Christopher Hitchens.
5. Demographic trends, including the growing number of “nones,” or Americans with no religious affiliation, particularly among the young.