Director of Communications
Religious Freedom Institute (Washington, DC area)
The Religious Freedom Institute (RFI) is looking for a passionate and experienced communications and media professional. The Communications Director will be responsible for establishing and executing an integrated communications strategy for RFI and its related projects. This individual must be savvy in managing the complexities of both domestic and international affairs and multiple industries and environments, including, but not limited to: legal, nonprofit and public affairs, and policy. Additionally, this individual must understand all communications platforms, such as media relations, social media and public relations. This individual should be able to work closely with the executive team and also be able to complete tasks with little direct supervision. The Communications Director should be passionate about the organization’s mission and actively look for opportunities to support it through integrated communication efforts.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The Director of Communications will:
- Be an experienced skilled writer and editor who is capable of reaching academic, policy, and popular audiences, can adapt academic research into persuasive, crisp communications, and write in a manner that moves the reader to act
- Understand fully why religious freedom is essential to human dignity and the flourishing of human societies and cultures
- Understand the importance of the mission of RFI and effectively communicate the importance and urgency of that mission in person and in writing
- Develop a communications strategy that uses both traditional and new media (video, webinars, podcasts, etc.) to effectively communicate the mission and activities of RFI for supporters and public audiences in the United States and internationally
- Have experience in social media, online publications, and new media, and be capable of managing organization accounts, building an engaged following, and executing multi-component advocacy or promotion campaigns
- Work with media, both proactively and reactively, to fulfill interview requests, act as a spokesperson as appropriate on issues, and effectively position RFI to advance religious freedom internationally and in the United States
- Be comfortable working in Adobe Suite and other programs to create finished product of reports and images for both print and digital distribution
- Be able to work with a dispersed team, manage multiple projects at once, develop and execute timelines, work with internal and external teams, and evaluate the success of projects to inform future efforts
Desired Experience and Background
- Bachelor's degree (Communications or related field is a plus)
- Ideal candidate will have four (4) or more years of communications and editing experience in settings such as: newsroom producer, journalism, public relations and public affairs experience
- Washington, D.C. area
Working Environment / Conditions
- One-year contract to be offered
- Negotiable based on experience, medical benefits, and retirement included
- Open to hiring from June 1, 2017.
Please send a cover letter and resume, examples of communications product, along with the names and contact information of three references, to RFI@religiousfreedominstitute.org
The Religious Freedom Institute (RFI) is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of disability, veteran status or any other basis protected under federal, state or local laws.
The Religious Freedom Institute (RFI) is committed to achieving broad acceptance of religious liberty as a fundamental human right, the cornerstone of a successful society, and a source of national and international security. It will achieve this goal by convincing stakeholders in select regions that religious freedom can help them achieve their own goals—political, economic, strategic, and religious. Action Teams will establish a presence in each region to build coalitions and work toward making religious freedom a priority for governments, civil society, religious communities, businesses, and the general public. http://www.religiousfreedominstitute.org/mission/